Sunday, June 17, 2007

Most Northerly

We visited the island of Unst on the Shetlands, the most northerly part of Britain. We have had a string of most northerly experiences. We saw the most northerly church and cemetery, purchased supplies in the country's most northerly shop (at some of the highest prices), saw the most northerly house in Britain, the most northerly beach, headland and lighthouse. We posted a letter from the most northerly post office, drank a beer from the most northerly bar, and at various times were the most northerly people. We are staying at the most northerly accommodation in Britain.

The prize however went to the most northerly bus stop. It was amazing. A regular council supplied bus shelter but with a sofa, a tv and computer, microwave, plate of lollies, books, plants real and artificial and even a Van Gogh (not sure if it was real). We all lined for photos and signed the visitors' book.

The other most northerly experiences are too personal to mention. Can you suggest some we could have tried?

3 comments:

theotherbear said...

I am hoping you meant something as unpleasant as most northerly bowel movement or something there because otherwise I must avert my eyes!

I could probably handle a bus stop like that, even with fake paintings.

Anonymous said...

I cannot suggest anything that you wouldn't have already thought of, I am sure. This post reminded me of when we recently climbed Mt Kosciousko and Dan stood on top of the 'monument' thing there and called out "Hey Mum, I'm the highest person in Australia!" I'm sure he meant altitude-wise.

Miss Di said...

What a change from the bus stop on top of Pigeonhouse! Wish my train stop was that civilised.