Thursday, July 12, 2007

Wonderful Wonderful Copenhagen

We have just spent a couple of days here and yes it is wonderful. We travelled up the canals by boat and revelled in sights such as Andersen's Little Mermaid, several palaces, a new Opera House right on the harbour (not as good as ours though) and outdoor restaurants with tall ships floating gently on the water in front of them. We arrived in the middle of a jazz festival so when our canal trip finished we listened to some great jazz while Rob tried the local beer and I tried some wine.

Yesterday we visited several museums with amazing sculpture, paintings and artefacts from the ancient world. Today we continued our cultural education by visiting a beautiful marble church, several palaces, the Royal Library (where we are now) and the Museum of Design. Copenhagen is a beautiful city and we are staying in an apartment a few minutes walk from the Little Mermaid. It has been raining but this has not deterred us in our quest to admire, absorb and delight in all the sights. We keep wanting to act like Danny Kaye and burst into song.

Tomorrow we will catch a train to Stockholm so will be up early as the train leaves at 8:30 am. The trip is about 5 hours and we hope the sun will decide to show its face again.

6 comments:

Miss Di said...

Now I am going to be singing not jazz but the soundtrack to Hans Christian Andersen all day.

inchworm, inchworm, measuring the marigolds...

Feel pity for my team!

theotherbear said...

I have that bloody "Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen" song on the brain now.
'Neath her tavern light
On this merry night
Let us clink and drink one down
To wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen
Salty old queen of the sea
Once I sailed away
But I'm home today
Singing Copenhagen, wonderful, wonderful
Copenhagen for me

PS I'd love to go here, having sung about it for so long now :)

Anonymous said...

Obviously there was something missing in my childhood because I have never heard of that song.
By the way, we waited in vain to see the sun for 9 days in a row in Tassie, so don't hold your breath! Perhaps we share the gene that makes it rain wherever I go on holidays. I have made it rain in pretty much any place in Australia, including Broken Hill and at Uluru!

Miss Di said...

cousintaf, obviously
a)your school was deficient in its production of high school musicals or
b) you don't watch enough Sunday Afternoon at the Movies and haven't seen the film "Hans Christian Andersen".

Also, I think you should take your next holiday at Lake Burragorang.

theotherbear said...

Where is Lake Burragorang?

Miss Di said...

I'll give you a couple of clues...

1. It doesn't rain there
2. There is a really big dam wall all down one end of it
3. It's got something to do with Sydney's water restrictions